Monday, October 03, 2005

An Observation

I'm starting to notice that student teaching + class = not much time for anything else.

Why does it seem like I'm only ever doing stuff for school or class?

Class is less then stellar, but school is going really, really well. I'm so lucky to have a good placement where the teacher wants to TEACH a student teacher, not just get the extra money and have someone to do her work for her.

Yuck. I'm tired of being single. There is no one to come home to.

Sorry depressing...

Seriously though, school is great. My students are awesome. A few girls that were doing community service for girl scouts came to visit me during back to school night and were EXCITED to see me. That was nice. My lessons have been going well too. I'm very excited to start my "very hungry caterpillar" unit.

Oh...my milkweed plant is infested with aphids. Does anyone know how I can get rid of the little buggers?

Thanks.

Teach on!

4 Comments:

At 4:17 PM, Anonymous Bangas said...

In regards to the aphid problem...
Get some ladybirds or ladybugs whatever you want to call them.
As they eat aphids. not sure how you will keep them there though...

 
At 11:29 PM, Blogger Polski3 said...

"..... does it seem like I'm only ever doing stuff for school or class?"

Welcome to being a teacher. Your master teacher gets paid extra for having a student teacher in their classroom? Geeze, where do I sign up?

Glad things are going ok.

Re: Aphids. a mix of water and dishsoap in a spray bottle can help get rid of them too. Remember, they suck the life out of your plants! Soap 'em!

 
At 11:35 PM, Anonymous fred the fish said...

It does get easier. Really. I did my internship, school, and waited tables. I was tired all the time. In fact, I still am. But! It does get easier. I wrangled my way through my first year. Though there are challenges this year, the stuff that killed me isn't what is challenging this year, and the challenges overall aren't dragging my under. It does get better.

Start a "superstar" file, by the way, of notes from your kids and parents that remind you that you are a superstar.

 
At 10:01 PM, Blogger Strausser said...

Whereas the previous poster is correct that it does get easier, you will probably actually find that even though school is over for you, you sill will not have a lot of extra time on your hands.

I find that inorder to be a really good teacher, especially starting out like I am in my 2nd year, I put in massive amounts of time preparing, analyzing and the lovely grading of papers.

It is kind if funny how all the people at the local coffee shop know me so well because every Sunday I am in there for a few hours working on school stuff.

But the great thing is that my job is soooo unbelievably rewarding that I do not mind in the least. Knowing that you are having a direct impact on people's lives is incredibly humbling. I left an 8 year career in the high tech world to become an 8th grade science teacher and literally have never been happier.

Stay strong...

Strausser
http://strausser.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home