Monday, June 27, 2005

Pre-QUEST Day 1

Q uery
U nderlies
E ssential
S cience
T eaching

Today was the first day of the pre-QUEST (henceforth pre-Q) program. Pre-Q is two weeks of instruction just for the fellows on all aspects of the inquiry-based classroom. Much of today was taken up with logistical issues and introductions. However, we were able to do a few neat activities where we explored the properties of foam. The first activity was an open ended exploration on the properties of foam. The second utilized a worksheet to examine how the amount of agitation changed the properties of the foam (strength, height). Lastly, we were "challenged" to build an unsupported 12" tower out of foam. Very cool. I'm going to try and update this blog every day or so while I am participating in QUEST, so stayed tuned for updates.

In other news, I went out to Havana's - a local bar - with a friend last Friday. I had a good time except it was a little strange running into people who I haven't seen since high school. Especially, since most of the people I ran into were extremely intoxicated at the time. Hahaha...that isn't too far off from how these people were in high school actually.

The real highlight of the weekend was going into NYC on Sunday and getting a chance to see Brooklyn before it closed. This is an amazing show! I have never heard anyone sing like that in a show before. Even RENT, which I adore and obsess over, doesn't quite have the "diva singing" this show did. Of course, the singing was just a part of why I love this show. The plot is really different as is the way it is executed. There are only 5 people in the cast, who pretty much spend the entire show on stage AND do all their own scene/set changes. Brooklyn is going on tour in 2006, so if you get the chance, I HIGHLY recommend going to see it.

Time to turn out the turtle light - good night!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home