Monday, May 16, 2005

Another Bit of News

This has been a banner week for education news articles that have made me "uppity."

The evolution debate that is raging in Kansas blows my mind.

I know the nature of science is a long debated topic - heck I took a whole class on "what is science?" - but I do not think that the definition of "a systematic method of continuing investigation" is a good enough. I agree with the "outraged" scientists that teaching super natural explanations for natural phenomena is ludicris.

Regardless of what I believe in this country we have seperation of church and state. If you want to learn about religious explanations for the world, go to church. It is not the responsibility of public schools to teach religion as fact. I think it is very important that children learn about religion in school, but only as a study of what other people might believe. For example, it is difficult to understand various religious wars if you do not know what the different cultures belive. This is not teaching the religion as fact, this is presenting information. The same goes for evolution. It is a theory that many people believe and should be taught as such.

I think I wrote about this before, but when I teach evolution I plan on saying something like the following: We are now going to begin our study of evolution. Evolution is a theory that I will present to you that many people believe. Other people believe that that there is a different reason for the development of the world. I strongly suggest you go home and ask your parents what your family believes.

I think what some people might be afraid of is letting their children come to their own conclusions. There are many things taught in school that children may or may not believe. Evolution is one of them. I say teach them about evolution in school and let them make their own decisions.

If you want your children to hear another view, such as the one posited in the article, take your children to church/synagouge/temple/etc. Where someone WAY more qualified (i.e. minister, rabbi, etc.) can teach your child about another view.

::rant off:: The End.

1 Comments:

At 8:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

'Synagouge', huh? Do they charge more for seats in the front?

*snigger*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home