Friday, April 01, 2005

Stumbling Block

I am not going to lie. I am upset.

The wonderful state of NJ is not going to accept my neuro classes as a life science. Why you ask? Simply because althoug they are clearly biology courses and are listed as such at most colleges they are listed as psychology courses at my school because that is how the discipline started out.

This is really frustrating. I am not going to be able to student teach this Fall.

Dejected. rejected.

Going to work on my thesis.

2 Comments:

At 6:26 PM, Blogger Lynda said...

That sucks. :(

Is there nothing the science/biology department can do to clear up this mess for you?

 
At 6:42 PM, Blogger Polski3 said...

Thanks for checking out my blog.
Move out to California. If you have a BS and can pass the CBEST, you should have no problem getting into a teacher ed program.
Your prof. or the department should be able to assist you in informing the state edubureaucrats that the class should be acceptable. How is it listed in the Univ. course catalog? Eons ago, I had a similar thing with my university not wanting to accept a jc physical geography class as an earth science. The course numbering in the catalog helped clear it up. Good Luck.

PS: For hs biology today, you need a good foundation in modern genetics. IF you get a job teaching "Life Sciences", those are often the students who cannot handle regular biology classes but need some science class for graduation purposes. Also, as a new teacher, don't expect to teach AP Bio. for a few years.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home