Saturday, April 02, 2005

Girls on the Run!

I stumbled upon this website in my internet travels.

I think this is a very neat program for young girls. It teaches them to be strong individuals through running. Of course this running isn't like training for high school cross-country - they will have to run around collecting items for scavenger hunt or skip around a track. It's fun while being non-competitive and good exercise at the same time.

I think it's important to enroll children in some activity after school so that they may develop skills and friendships outside of school. However, I've always been a little turned off by the uber-competitive soccer and little league baseball teams. Often I think the parents push their kids too much sometimes even telling them it is "ok" to not do homework so that they can practice.

To me the GOTR program has the benefits of communtiy soccer league without the pressure of competition.

1 Comments:

At 4:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That does look like a neat program. It wouldn't be too hard to start one for my local community either!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home