Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Come back down on a spear of silence...

What a week! I don't think I've ever had so many disappointments! While there were no major diasters this was still a rough week for me, made worse by thesis stress.

1. The jerks at Tufts university refuse to give me my data because they don't feel I've done enough work on the project? EXCUSE ME! I believe that not only did I spend 3 months feeding this rats a very complicated diet, but that I weighed them daily and either mailed them to you live($400 per rat) or did all the work of mailing you their brains! I should clarify that the complicated diet didn't involve a one time mix, oh no, that would be too easy. This was a "cafeteria diet" study which means that rats were eating "people food." Every other day I had to prepare a dishes containing either peanut butter, salami and crisco or chocolate, marshmallows and bananas. This was GROSS!!! I had to scrap out the "leftovers" that were covered in rat hair and salivia, clean the dishes (by hand) and then refill them. To this day I don't eat marshmallows or bananas. I can't believe this, where did these people learn about the way science in academia works? We share!!! Grrrrrr.....

2. The state of NJ doesn't believe that neuroscience is a biological science. I have therefore been forced to change ALL my plans for next year in order to accomadate teaching MIDDLE SCHOOL. I don't want to offend anyone, but I find middle schoolers in groups to be completely obnoxious... Why not just take more classes you say? Because I can't mentally handle that right now and there is no way for me to pay for another year at Princeton. Please tell me nice things about middle school and middle schoolers.....

3. Paypal decided that they were going to limit my account. At first I wasn't too concerned and figured I would make a new account under a different email and all would be fine. However, they will only allow your credit card to be in the system once. "Fine," I though, "I'll just delete the old account." Apparently, when they limit your account you can neither charge things to it nor delete it?!? Furthermore, the error message tells me there is no way for me to appeal the limitation. Did I mention that I didn't DO anything to cause this? I haven't used the account since January and I only charge modestly too it AND I'm paid in full. After spending over an hour on hold for their "service agents" I gave up and sent a rather nasty email. The nasty email made me feel somewhat better. If anyone has any idea how I can fix this, please comment.

4. My home town is underwater...again.

5. My violin lesson, which I look forward to with great joy, was cancelled today.

None of these are the end of the world, but on top of the stress caused by my thesis (and others whining...er...talking about their theses) the combination has made for a very unpleasant week.

Hopefully I'll be in better spirits next time I post.

6 Comments:

At 11:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chin up sweetie!

 
At 1:04 AM, Anonymous laynie said...

Middle schoolers aren't so bad. Less hardened than high schoolers, less potty accidents than elemntary schoolers. See, could be worse. ;)

Also, with paypal, you can try emailing their customer servce telling them you want to close your account entirely as (insert competing service here) is more reasonable. Best of luck!

 
At 8:24 PM, Blogger Abigail said...

I've had horrible experiences going round and round with PayPal. It's not you; it's them.

 
At 3:23 PM, Blogger Vinny Quinn said...

Hope all your problems are sorted out soon. You would be a welcome recruit to the ranks of teaching. Sadly, I don’t fully understand the whole ‘middle school’ dilemma you appear to be in at the moment. As for banks and financial institutions…the comment box is not large enough for my rant! Good luck with the thesis.

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger Anonymouph said...

I'm with Abigail. PayPal is just nasty! I had the same exact problem with you. In fact, it was because we hadn't used PayPal in so long that they limited our accounts. And then they make it LITERALLY impossible to re-instate your account, especially if you use a cell phone as your home phone. Ugh. Catch up with the times, PayPal!

Anyway, just found your blog by way of "Love Being a Middle School Teacher." I teach high school and often wish I was teaching middle school. I think you'll find that the positives outweight the negatives.

 
At 10:02 AM, Blogger Anonymouph said...

Oops, I meant that I had "the same exact problem AS you," not the "same exact problem WITH you." So far I haven't had any problems WITH you. Tee hee.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home