Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Interesting Conversation

I had an interesting conversation today with Nicole (she's a neuro graduate student in my lab). We were talking about how schools don't prepare studnets for life as well as they could. We also talked about how the message in many high schools is that if you do not go to college you are a failure. Of course, high schools never look at which students later drop out of college...

All in all it gave me some interesting things to think about.

Most importantly, how I can make every day I teach a learning experience for my students. And not just a learning experience for the kids that are interested, but also for those who could care less about biology. I'll be the first to admit that it isn't very often that I get a chance to use Mendellian genetics in my everyday (non-teaching) life. What to do? I may have to resort to "tricking" my students into learning. Maybe if I jump up on my desk like a madwoman and start spewing facts, I can get them to learn something....

Student 1: Wow! Did you hear what Mrs. M. did today!?!
Student 2: No...
Student 1: She was jumping on her desk!!!
Student 2: Oh, I don't know she was talking about the steps of cell division, you know...interphase, metaphase...

In my dreams....

1 Comments:

At 9:46 PM, Blogger Kates said...

I have a co-worker who does a cilia dance which is apparently a big hit---

 

Post a Comment

<< Home