Thursday, February 24, 2005

Is this for prom?

I can't tell you how many times I've heard this when I've gone shopping for dresses for one of my schools many, many formal occassions.

What can I say, I look about 16. ::shrugs::

I didn't think this would be a large problem for my future teaching career, until I had the following conversation with my teacher prep advisor:

Advisor: I'm glad you've decided to take 401 and do your student teaching as a 9th semester.
Me: Why's that?
Advisor: To be frank, you look so young that any age we can add to your appearence will be helpful.
Me: Oh...

This isn't the only instance where someone has commented to me about my youthful appearence and how it will effect my teaching. However, I haven't noticed a problem. The students were more or less well behaved and respectful during the lessons I've taught so far and I certainly don't dress like a student.

Kate at Behind the Desk wrote a post about dressing professionally. I believe that I do dress professionaly, yet on more than one occassion staff members at my host school have confused me with a student. What student wear's slacks and a blazer? Not many.

In all fairness, I am 5'1" and weigh about 100 lbs. However, I know I look young, it doesn't need to be constantly brought to my attention. Besides my teaching ability is what should be being discussed not my appearence.

3 Comments:

At 4:59 PM, Blogger Kates said...

Girl, I feel ya. I get it no matter what I wear too--and I say the same things to myself.

Even my chinos and sweaters are not something my students would really wear----what students are shopping at Banana Republic?

Friday's we are allowed to wear jeans...and I have special Ann Taylor school jeans---but do my student still ask me wear they can buy them? yes. And are the mortified when I tell them where they are from? yes. Quote "Oh, my mom shops there."

 
At 9:37 PM, Blogger lit lover said...

Even sadder still is when you suddenly realize it's been years since anyone has mistaken you for a student.

 
At 10:39 PM, Blogger simply sarah said...

I am required to wear really dressy clothes to school. I wear a button-down shirt almost daily with really nice dress pants and shoes. However, I only dress this way because they'll fire me if I don't. Be relaxed while it is allowed!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home