Monday, February 14, 2005

Houston we have a problem...

I am not a teacher yet. Better put, I am not fully in the mindset of a teacher.

Last night, I went to a Jesse Malin concert with my friend Nick, his younger brother and his younger brother's friend. Now, his younger brother is probably about 16 (as is his friend). Even so I didn't really realize how much younger they were than I am. In a year I will (hopefully) be in a classroom with 16 year olds. I need to figure out how to seperate myself from my students. I need get to the point where I am not in the position of their friend, but the position of their teacher.

I guess at a concert with friends I don't need to act like a teacher, but I was still really surprised that I didn't even think about it. I guess part of this may have to do with my small high school. I have always been friends with people many years younger or older than I am.

Anyway, I'm going back to school tomorrow for another observation. It's a student shadowing exercise where we are supposed to identify which psychological stage they have reached. Hopefully, it won't be raining tomorrow for my drive.

Good night all.

1 Comments:

At 9:19 PM, Blogger Pigs said...

Hee hee. I don't think my students would fit into a psychological box. Unless you have one that says "freakshow." Do you have that?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home