Friday, January 28, 2005

Summer Homework?

I read this story today on CNN.com. It's about a student bring a lawsuit against the school to do away with summer homework. Yeesh. I don't know the specifics or exactly how much homework was assigned, but when I was in high school we had summer homework and it was resonable. I didn't have to work on it every day for the entire summer and I even enjoyed it because it kept my brain working throughout the summer so the "breaking-in period" of school was much shorter. The student said that he worked all summer, but I find it hard to believe that he couldn't find a few hours to do this homework. Besides if summer homework wasn't allowed, what about the other school vacations - winter break, thanksgiving break, etc.?

Since when do teenagers think they are so entitled? It is not that they are questioning their teachers that bothers, it's that they don't see the value in what we teachers do. We don't assign homework to be mean (most of the time), we assign it to help them learn.

Bah, I'm cranky today. What is the world coming to?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home