Tuesday, January 25, 2005

New Edmund's Scientifics Catalog

I'm like a kid in a candy store when I get this catalog. Microscopes, specimen, slides, large insects sealed in lucite, what could be better than that? Even though I know I am going to be tossed into a classroom and am going to have to use whatever equipment is there, a girl can dream can't she? I hope that whatever I do end up with can at the very least be repaired. I'm pretty crafty with these things afterall. My thesis advisor refuses to throw anything out so I've gotten pretty good at "rigging" scientific equipment.

This past summer I was left to "fix" (i.e. rebuild) an aparatus used to deliver electrical stimulation to rat brains. This was pretty tricky since I had to convert the wall current down to a level that would not inflict brain damage on my rats. Now this thing was from the 1950s and reminded me of the photos of the first {gigantic} computers. It had bare wires hanging out all over the place and half the parts were labeled in GERMAN. Oh my, that was fun.

Hmmm...time for more reflectiong.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home