Saturday, November 06, 2004

Welcome!

My name is Melissa and I am a senior at Princeton University majoring in Psychology with a neuroscience concentration. I am also completing the Program in Teacher Preparation in order to be able to teach high school biology.

In middle school and high school I remember spending most of my lunch periods and study halls informally helping my peers with their classwork. There is one friend in particular who credits me with her survival of AP Calculus, even though I have told her repeatedly that she is the one who did most of the hard work, I just helped out here and there. During high school I was often told that I should become a teacher, but I asserted that teaching a whole class of students was far different from one on one tutoring. However, last year I was asked to participate in the Princeton Science Expo on behalf of the neuroscience program. The program was designed for middle and high schoolers and let them explored some of the fascinating research conducted at Princeton. I spent the day giving mini-presentations about the brain, neurons and how they can be responsible for motivational diseases such as alcoholism and obesity. I loved working with the kids, I was impressed with their knowledge of the subject matter and their enthusiasm. It was this experience that was the deciding factor for deciding to enter the teacher prep program.

Since entering the program, I have discovered that teaching is my "calling." I have never been so fulfilled by any one class at Princeton has I have been with this class. Afterall, it seems that I am at last adhereing to Princeton's mantra, "Princeton in the Nation's service and in the service of all nations."

1 Comments:

At 11:50 PM, Blogger Wayne said...

Can you teach me Evidence and Con Law?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home